Wednesday, June 13, 2012

on DIY weddings

let me count the weddings i've attended in my 33 years...

Four weddings: my sister's ex's wedding, my sister's, my former boss's wedding and my best friend Mylene. (ok make that 5. i attended a classmate's wedding just to see my college crush haha)

it's a miracle i got to attend 5 because if i can make up an excuse not to go i will. there are two reasons i will attend: if i have no way out or if i'm curious.

in the case of my sister's ex, i attended because i wanted to see the bride (tsismosa). he and my sister were together for about 6-7 years then they broke up. after a year or less, he got married. his bride looked like my sister!

his wedding was boring and very traditional.  it made me believe what i suspected all along, that he was just marrying that girl to get over my sister!

on the other hand, my sister's wedding was the first DIY wedding i attended. they were hands on in every detail and they paid for everything themselves. it was a new idea to me that time. my contribution was a mixed CD of wedding songs that was played during the reception.  it was Japanese-themed so my playlist included the following:


Turning Japanese by The Vapors (which i found out later was about masturbation! my sister doesn't need to know that)



Sho-jo-ji (The Hungry Racoon) by Eartha Kitt was played during the reception


it's one of the things i really enjoy, making mixed CDs! and if you're compiling this unusual quirky songs for a wedding, it's all the more fun! 

Drew Barrymore and new hubby danced to this song.


 I don't think it's danceable but i like Band of Horses.

but i made my point here. songs are really important! it's next to food and venue on my list of must-be-perfect wedding elements!

anyway back to my sister's wedding, it was the first wedding i enjoyed because instead of dancing to For The First Time or another mushy song, they danced to the tune of HAPPY by Alexia! 

DIY weddings make me root for the couple and make me want to hope that their marriages will work and last.  just like when i saw an FB friend's DIY wedding pictures and i felt the intensity and sincerity of their love for each other, i really wish that Djae's marriage lasts forever and ever. i would have enjoyed attending that wedding.

the truth is seeing their pictures made me kind of feel happy and a little envious at the same time. not anybody can have that kind of love or happiness and not everybody are meant to get married and have kids. most of all, not everybody will be given the chance to meet the love of their life from another continent and then wed them too.  i guess they're just meant to be together.

i wonder what their songs were! (i have to ask her)

and i wonder still, what would have been if i left the movie industry 8 years ago and worked on a cruise ship just as planned. in that parallel universe, what is Michiko, the-cruise-ship-housekeeper, doing?

is she retired and living in some European country with a foreign guy? is she married to him? or is she also having a midlife crisis and wants wondering about her parallel universe at this very moment?

(pathetic pala kahit saang universe hahaha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment